I came across this recipe from Family Fun Magazine for homemade play dough using ingredients already in your pantry and the color comes from food instead of the typical dyes. This is a quick option for keeping your kids busy during the rainy and cold winter.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/8 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- natural dye ( see options below )
Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add oil and natural dye and stir all together well. Knead the dough on a floured surfaces for a few minutes and if it’s too soft – add a bit more flour. You can store the clay in the refrigerator.
- YELLOW – 3/8 cup hot water and 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ORANGE – 3/8 cup hot water and 1 tablespoon paprika
- FUSCHIA – 3/8 cup hot beet juice ( try using the juice from a can of beets )
- BROWN – 3/8 cup + 1 tablespoon of hot water and 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
Any other natural dye ideas?